Sunday, January 11, 2009

Walking in a Winter Wonderland




Yesterday, my social group and I headed out to the Weston Ski Track in Weston MA to take part in Winter Trails Day and learn to snowshoe. Having wanted to try this sport last year, I was more than game when the opportunity came up. Winter Trails Day is where the ski/snowshoe instructors and vendors give free demos of the sport as well as food/hot chocolate. 20 of us met at 9am. The day was sunny and bright, but bitter cold - 15-20 degrees. Dressed in my winter jacket, hat and gloves, I was all set to learn a new winter sport.




Now, putting on the snowshoes were kind of easy but you have to make sure that the boots you are wearing fit up against the bottom just right and are strapped in tight. Since I wore sneakers- yes I know my feet were freezing, one should wear boots and any kind will do. Snowshoes are also fitted by your weight and there are 3 kinds that people can choose from. The instructor was pretty good in explaining how to get ready for a day of snowshoeing. Wear ski/synthetic clothing- no cotton since it can get wet. Bring a back pack of water, some food and dry clothing just in case and wear layers since one can burn as much as 1000 calories an hour.

For our demo, we walked around the Weston ski track for about 20-45 minutes. I have to say that it does bring your heart rate up and very similar to a cardio workout. The snow was very crunchy from being so cold. We also learned how to trek up a small hill as well as go down- which is side ways so you don't slip. Snowshoeing is a fun way to get out and enjoy the winter and very easy to do. If you can walk, then you can snowshoe. You might feel the burn in your legs the next day- but it's all good. I think I may have a new winter hobby.

For gear head to : http://www.llbean.com or http://www.rei.com/snowshoe
Special thanks to Kelly and Amy for taking pics yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment